The PWYP board is selected to take primary responsibility to ensure that the objectives and interests of PWYP, as a registered company, are protected and advanced. Board members govern PWYP in the interests of the members globally and collectively.
The board will normally accept the recommendations on strategy and policy of the Global Council, unless there are good reasons of legal or financial probity for not doing so. The board appoints and ensures the effectiveness of the Executive Director. Their responsibilities are set out in the Terms of Reference and Role Descriptions in the Governance Manual. The key responsibilities are to ensure that PWYP:
- Complies with companies law in the UK, and with other legislative and regulatory requirements, in particular ensuring that PWYP prepares reports and accounts as required by law.
- Does not breach any of the requirements or rules set out in its governing documents.
- Remains true to its mission and purpose.
- Remains solvent.
- Uses its funds and assets reasonably, effectively, and only in furtherance of PWYP’s mission and purpose.
- Acts with integrity, avoids any personal conflicts of interest or misuse of PWYP funds or assets by Board members, and is protected from personal conflicts of interest or misuse of funds or assets by others.
- Is responsive to the priorities, strategies and policy positions recommended by PWYP members through the Global Council.
The board consists of minimum five and maximum seven members composed as follows:
- Up to three elected by the Global Council on the basis of nominations made by members
- One member of the Global Council, to represent its perspectives and discussions at Board meetings
- Up to three invited to ensure that all skills and knowledge required for effective governance are present amongst Board members.
The founding board which was selected by the Transitional Global Council in March 2015 consists of:
The Board will serve for a mandate of three years to be renewed 18 months after a Global Assembly / International Coalition Strategy Meeting to prevent the Global Council and Board having to change all at once.
The minutes of the Board Meetings are available below: