Participants at PWYP’s ten year anniversary conference endorsed and elected the Global Steering Committee on 19 September 2012. In April 2015, to reflect the transition of PWYP becoming an entity independent to its host Open Society Foundation, the Global Steering Committee became the Global Council.
The Global Council brings together a maximum of 10 representatives of the regions and member organisations with global reach. The Global Council advises the Board and Executive Director. It develops strategies and prioritises activities in operational plans, making recommendations to the Executive Director and Board as appropriate. It does so through expression of, and debate between, the diversity of ‘voices’ of PWYP members. It aims for decision by consensus, but votes on recommendations when necessary. The Global Council develops means for resolution of difference between members on matters of importance to PWYP.
The Global Council is accountable to the Global Assembly for its work, and makes key recommendations on policy and strategy to the Board. For more information read the Governance Manual.
This Global Council was selected at the PWYP Global Assembly in Lima, Peru, 22-23 February 2016, except for the Africa representatives who were selected at a meeting in Senegal in July 2016. The Chair of the PWYP Global Council is Suneeta Kaimal, the Global Reach representative in the Global Council.
Africa Steering Committee representative
Europe and North America
Latin America: Aroa de la Fuente (Fundar, Mexico)
Middle East and North Africa
Representation is based on regions (weighted according to number of coalitions). Each member represents a constituency, if you have any matters that need to be discussed by the Global Council please contact your representative.
The first Global Steering Committee meeting took place in Sydney on 18th – 19th May 2013. Read the communiqué here.
The second Global Steering Committee meeting took place in Paris on 22nd – 23rd January 2014. Read the minutes here.
The third Global Steering Committee meeting took place in Washington DC on 5th – 6th August 2014. Read the minutes here.
The transition meeting when the Global Steering Committee became the Global Council took place in Istanbul in April 2015. Read the minutes here.
The meeting on 2-3 December 2015 took place in Brussels, Belgium, jointly with PWYP’s Board. Read the minutes here.
The Global Council met on 14 and 15 September 2016 in Barcelona, Spain and included a joint meeting with PWYP’s Board. Read the minutes here.
The meeting on 4-5 March 2017 took place in Brussels, Belgium, jointly with PWYP’s Board. Read the Global Council’s communique here.
Terms of Reference
- To develop strategy for PWYP, making recommendations to the Executive Director and Board.
- To identify priorities for PWYP’s annual operational work plan, making recommendations to the Executive Director and Board.
- To debate and make recommendations on PWYP’s core policy positions.
- To develop, and take a leading role in, methods for consultation with PWYP members on strategy, priorities and policy positions.
- To periodically review strategic progress of PWYP and propose evaluations, recommending amendments to strategy and work plans on the basis of the conclusions of reviews and evaluations.
- To identify funding sources for the coalition and International Secretariat, and provide inputs to funding proposals where strategic decisions and prioritisation are required.
- To develop and supervise the nomination process of the CSO Board members on the EITI International Board.
- To develop procedures for the resolution of differences or conflict between PWYP members, and make recommendations to the Board as final arbiter in these matters.
- To support and advise the Board in its responsibility to appoint, and review the performance of, the Executive Director.
- To uphold, and provide oversight according to, the coalition’s principles and membership standards. This includes the following:
To develop and make recommendations on policies on potential repercussions for non-compliance to the principles and standards.
- To recommend approval of new coalitions and recommend sanctions for existing coalitions using the membership standards and guidelines.
- To review and where appropriate recommend changes to the operating principles and membership and coalition standards.
- To oversee implementation of PWYP’s global protection policy, and advise on any modifications to the policy.
- To establish and hold accountable such subcommittees as it deems necessary to fulfil its responsibilities effectively.
- Meet at least once a year in person; preferably to coincide with one of the Board meetings.